Pages

Tuesday 20 December 2011

A Poem Here and There

I've been a closet poetry fan for a while now but only recently started taking more of an interest again and have been collecting a few as I see or find them. There are 2 that will always stand out in my head though, both of which were learned in school, for the Junior Cert I think. I just remember reading them and they instantly clicked with me which surprised me because nothing in school was ever that interesting!

The first one I'm sure almost everybody would have read in school also at some stage:

Hope - Emily Dickinson
Hope is the thing with feathers 

That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

I could just read it over and over!


No comments:

Post a Comment