Pages

Sunday 27 November 2011

A little Christmas treat

I've had a fairly tame but busy weekend so far. I'm actually doing my bit of volunteer work right now but phones are quiet so have time for a quick blog post!!
Me and Katie (the youngest of my 3 nieces) spent the day orgainising furniture,moving stuff to the attic and getting the Christmas decorations down and ready for next weeks work. We sorted out the final few bits and pieces in my room and the whole house was back in an orderly fashion after 3 weeks of chaos!! For a small 9 year old shes a great little worker!
We also decided to make some Christmas fairy cakes, just to get everyone else to join in our festive mood ( We also have our advent calendars lined up ready for us to attack come December 1st!)
So anyway me and my litle helper started off with the one recipe I know off by heart from making it with the mothership since as long as I can remember: 6, 6, 6, and 3!

6oz of Self Raisng Flour
6oz of Caster Sugar
6oz of Margarine
3 eggs
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Essence
Food coluring of your choice
12 cherries
Icing Sugar

Mix the caster sugar and margarine first, in the motherships very fancy new food processor I might add! Then add in 1 egg and a the flour bit by bit follwed by the remaining 2 eggs. When its all mixed together add in the vanilla essence. We then just seperated the mixture into 2 bowls and put red colouring in one and green in another. We had lots of messy fun putting the mixture into the Christmas cake cases! We then left them for about 20mins to cook, maybe a bit more I wasnt keeping track. I had the oven a bit lower than usual, gas mark 4 instead of 5. We then left them to cool on the wire rack while we cleaned up the kitchen and cut the cherries and got the icing ready. Another bit of messy fun with the icing and our Christmas fairy cakes were ready to go!! I made coffee for me and the sister while the little miss had Ribena and we munched on ur cakes. The kiddies thought the red and green inside the cakes were just great, really impressed them!!  (the idea for the coloured cakes came from a fellow bloggers post I saw a while back and had to try them)




No comments:

Post a Comment